Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas is nearly here - again. At least this year we're all in the same country. We've been busy, preparing. I went to Moonie on Thursday with my brother. Meg has been back and forward to Twba for different reasons. Drew has been catching up on sleep and cleaning out his room. My week off flew by. I actually missed not having our annual week at the coast. I missed the opportunity it provides to look at things from a little distance and to unwind away from the demands of feedlot life.

We've slowly been assembling the hampers. The Twba crew get the farming tea-towels; my family gets plain ones - we've lived the farming life since the late 1800's, way way back when, so don't need reminding.


The minimalist tree in the daytime. My mother is responsible for most of the gifts under it. She loves Christmas more than anyone I know.


The extra felt decorations Meg bought from Spotlight; they are perfect.






Here's my little bear friend. I don't know where he came from and I can't remember how long I've had him. He lives in the pantry all year long. He's tiny.


Hello Canada. Merry Christmas. Instead of sending gifts to Drew's Canadian family I bought them a farm - well sort of. I bought them an Oxfam farm - 2 ducks, a goat and a pig for a family in need of a little help in a country not as lucky as ours.


Gibbo decided this year, when ordering the staff hams, to buy a "turducken" - a chicken stuffed inside a duck that is stuffed inside a turkey - all deboned and wrapped in mesh. He cooked it outside in the bbq for nearly 7 hours on a very low heat.


I went to town early this morning and was on the supermarket doorstep at opening time. I didn't have a whole lot left to get but I wanted to make sure I got the prawns for the prawn cocktail entree for tomorrow. I also bought the initial supplies for the Boxing Day crowd; have I mentioned that 23 of G's family are coming - 9 of them under 6?

We cooked the pork loin inside; I marinated 4kg of chicken wings and boiled 2 dozen eggs for Ma-Ma's Stuffed Eggs. Tradition. I made the sticky date puddings on Saturday. Tomorrow I'll cook the wings, stuff the eggs and make the mini quiches and caramel sauce. Peter will arrive and sample a chicken wing (or two) and an egg (or two). That's Tradition too. Mate will arrive with Gundi, make us all laugh, then leave by 2pm. Tradition.

Yesterday Meg cooked these gingerbread cookies and they look and taste fantastic (she made 41 - we only needed 40 for the hampers)!






Bagging up.


The macarons are bagged too. Now we just need to assemble the hampers; they're going to look great.

We spent the afternoon together, just pottering. Cleaning the pool, checking the cooking, welcoming the goat, delivering macarons, listening to a bit of music, watching the back half of a movie, teaching Drew to cook lasagne, Meg colouring my hair (and her own), icing macarons, seeing the photos from India on the big tv screen and admiring the carpet that arrived from India today!

I unravelled the fairy lights and strung them in The Minimalist. They look beautiful.

And for the 25th year in a row I have waited for my children to go to sleep so that I can place their present sack at the end of their beds. Merry Christmas my babies. Your Momma loves you both very much.


1 comment:

Fiona said...

Merry, Merry Christmas Mare. We were up before 5, most excitedly our Ruby gave us 6 puppies during the night. Could not have asked for a more special Christmas. Now Dad and Wallace are on the verandah firing the new air rifle at a target. Girls are playing with new ipods, Sal's back up with the pups, no present will come close to them.
Enjoy this special time.