Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Week

it's always the same for us; the week before we go away is a mad rush of lists and jobs as we try to get everything in order. It didn't help that end of month was in amongst all that. S is taking over the cattle arrival part of my job as from Dec 1 so there were lots of last minute bits of knowledge I tried to impart. I also moved offices to accommodate the change. I'm hoping to have a bit more time to cover Gibbo's admin and pay the carcass analysis and contract numbers more than the cursory glance they currently receive. I also hope to have a bit more time to give the house garden the attention it requires in the summer months; and I'd like to pay myself a bit more attention too!!

Mum came out and had dinner with us on Monday night. Gibbo had won a meat tray at cricket so we had a selection to choose from; I had the pork.

Tuesday I planted lettuce,spinach, beetroot, tomatoes, Italian parsley and some rockmelon and rosellas that the nurseryman gave me for free.

I ended up canceling the wisdom teeth op; Drew was just too sick. I managed to postpone it until the 15th but I couldn't get a morning slot which has probably worked out a little better in the long run. It meant that Drew wasn't feeling foul for his Canada orientation day last Saturday plus he'll have to stay in hospital overnight which I'm quietly pleased about.

We had tea in town on Wed night with someone from head office and then a BBQ on Thursday night where the staff gave us vouchers to use at a Jupiters restaurant.

So we finally did manage to get away. The kids left early on Saturday to get to Brisbane on time for the orientation. We left in time to get to parent orientation at 3pm - and then got a phone call at 12.45 from Drew telling us they were running ahead of schedule and wanted to start the parent session at 2.30! We did manage to make it 5 minutes late. It was good. We received a handbook, listened to what the kids had been told in their session, asked questions and met the girl (Margie) that Drew will travel over with (they will meet up with another girl in Sydney on the way). Margie's mother was excited and relieved to know that she would be traveling over with a boy.

We arrived at the coast just on dark and caught up with the W's. The D's arrived Sunday and the N's arrived Tuesday. More to come.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Understand how much effort goes into getting away for a break, and moreso when you're leaving work behind for somebody else. Pleased that you may be freeing up some time for yourself!
And hopefully the orientation session has put your mind a little at ease regarding Drew's trip???
Hope you're getting in some r&r this week.
Fiona.