Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Weather

What can I say? It's wet. Very. Very. Wet. Like half the country it seems. Big storms. Big wind. Big rain. Drew took these photos last Friday.


 These brave souls curled up on Grandma's lap.
 After the storm, the sun came out in one of those brilliant displays of heat and light.
So we spent ALL DAY Saturday catching up in the garden. The feedlot mower is broken. So we borrowed one. But the catcher didn't work. So we raked up the grass. Even N came up after feeding to help rake. Then of course it rained again before all the grass was raked up. All day. I think I've finally convinced the boss that it's much better use of his and my time if we re-employ a person to come once a week and mow here and at the office. The office area looks disgraceful. If a job is done regularly, it stays done and takes less time overall. I used my wifely logic to convince him (ie I nagged and nagged). But I think it worked. I also used the argument that the paltry sum we saved by letting the mowing person go last year didn't prevent The Company from losing XX dollars. Didn't even make a dint in it.

We went out for dinner last night and had a wonderful three course christmas dinner at T&K's house (which backs onto the town creek. It was quite a sight). We had a delicious prawn cocktail (haven't had one of those for many years); warm ham, chicken breast, gravy, carrots, peas and stuffed, baked potato followed by individual plum puddings smothered in traditional brandy sauce. It was a lovely meal in a beautiful, relaxing setting.

Meg had a night out and got a lift half way home with someone; I picked her up at 2.30am at a turnoff a few km from here. Actually, it was Jess' Dad who went in and got them; he brought Luke home too. You never stop looking after them really, making sure they're safe.

No comments: