Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Graduation No. 3

We left the coast on Sunday and headed to our usual Bris accommodation, the Cosmo on Park Road at Milton. We stay there because of its' proximity to head office (a 3 minute walk); an added bonus is that Mary Ryan is a 30 second walk from the front door and that's where I found myself on Sunday afternoon for a couple of hours. I told Megan I was NOT going to buy myself a book - but I did. Hopeless in a bookshop I am. I also found the two architecture books that Chris had suggested might make good Xmas presents.

We went to Megan's favorite restaurant for dinner - A Night in India. Gibbo was rather dubious but ended up enjoying his meal; we all did.

Gibbo had three days of Strategy, Operations and Rangelands meetings at head office ahead of him so he headed off early on Monday; the kids and I went to Indro. Meg had her hair done and Drew and I finished off Xmas.
We caught the city cat to Southbank................................(I love the city cat. One day I'm going to ride it from one end all the way to the other and back and just sit and enjoy the gentle rocking and rolling).





..............and made sure everything was in order with her gown and the lost tickets that actually weren't lost; they showed up today. That's cutting it way too fine for my liking. Meg disappeared to go and get ready. When she was gowned up, the three of us went outside for another photo opportunity or ten.





 The wind played havoc with my fringe.



 Chris arrived then Gibbo strolled in after strategizing all day. Lots of Action Items, AI's from that one!

We were finally allowed in to the Concert Hall and the ceremony began. Drew was reminded of the UQ graduation two years ago when he thought he'd been transported to Hogwarts! Pomp, Ceremony and a Stick Thing - ah, that would be a Mace, Drewboy. He didn't come to the grad last year, we left him at home for some reason I can't now remember. The men in my family have little patience for sitting still and quiet for any period of time. I confiscated one Blackberry and nearly confiscated an iPad. Then they got the giggles and were later caught trying to discreetly play Scissors, Paper, Rock. I thought I was at Kindy.
We could see Meg up on the stage but had to wait until nearly the end for her to come forward....and then there she was....Master of Justice (Intelligence)....Megan Gibbons. She flashed the waiting photographer a dazzling smile then strode forward, tipped her headgear, shook the Chancellor's hand and accepted her certificate. He told her "that's a very good degree to have" - the number of wisecracks she's had about studying intelligence is amazing. We clapped and cheered and Drew yelled out. As she moved off she turned her head to the audience and smiled at them, like a Princess, all the way along the stage as her gown billowed out behind her. She was very proud of herself - and so were we!

We met up afterwards and took some family shots then went to the CClub for a quiet celebratory meal. After five years of study she is finished. Amazing.










1 comment:

Fiona said...

Congratulations to Meg!
You must be so proud of your kids Mare. But we really need photos!
Pleased you've got Xmas covered. In usual style I'm yet to start, but a whirlwind weekend in town coming up will rectify that!
Fiona.