Monday, December 20, 2010

A Spring Clean in Summer

Just lately I've had an overwhelming urge to de-clutter our house. I started today and achieved an enormous amount - in one room only! There's still a lot to go but I've made a huge start. The lounge room takes up around 1/3 of the house and it has several separate areas to it so it was a big project - done now :) I aim to keep it looking this way. I cleared so much accumulated paper from so many shelves and cupboards. You don't see it building up, building up and then, all of a sudden, whack - it hits you in the face. The kids can't believe how much neater the room looks - AND IT FEELS SOOO GOOD!! This photo shows the corner where the computer sits. There was also my desk; and the roll top desk; and the filing pile; and the tax folders to archive; and the two years worth of school memorabilia to sort through; and the book case to tidy; and the bar to re-organise. DONE.
It rained nearly all day - and when it wasn't raining, it was misting. Incredible. Gibbo left at 9.30am to catch a lunch time flight to Emerald to visit three properties. He arrived back about 11am after receiving a couple of phone calls from the stations to say "don't come, it's too wet". So he sorted through some papers that have been sitting here since before we moved back to the flot office. Then he watched the wash up of the cricket; I knew we'd won because I kept hearing him yell out with glee each time an Englishman was out!

This week will go quickly. I've written the lists for the Christmas food menu and shop (just my family for lunch, Mum will come a few days earlier) and I've done up the roster for our annual "Boxing Day and Beyond" when Gibbo's family arrive with little people and dogs in tow and visit for a few days; there'll be 18 adults, 4 toddlers and a brand new baby (born on the 12th) for five days...and 7 extra dogs. Coco will be off her tree. I hope it stops raining by Sunday or I'll be off my tree too.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

You do feel good when the house is in order don't you. Unfortunately I detest housework with a passion. I guess luckily I hate a filthy house more than I hate the housework involved. I just tend to easily find outside jobs to do instead!
Began and finished my Xmas shopping yesterday. Actually had a really good day, managed to haul Matthew along as well, and after a party in town the night before, wasn't exactly what he had in mind. (Hee, hee, hee)! I really appreciated the help though, particularly with the kids' presents.
We'll head into Rocky Xmas Eve, home Boxing Day. My brother and his family will be down which I'm really looking forward to. Have to do up a list of grocery items I want and send through to Mum. We've killed a suckling pig to do for tea Xmas Eve, and will probably have seafood for Xmas lunch, with leftover cold pork and ham. We're smoking and cooking hams today.

Anyway, I'd better don the gumboots, have a cow to milk!
Have a fun week. I'll be in touch before the big day!
Fiona.