Sunday, April 25, 2010

Local Show

It's a few years since I've been to our local show; it's a far cry from it's heyday when I was a kid. My mother and grandmother dressed in their finest, my father and grandfather in coat, hat and tie (brothers too) and off we all went; I remember the dark purple felt ribbon my grandfather would win for his sheep fleeces - and even a red, white and blue tricolour for Champion Fleece of Show. Those halcyon days are long gone; many of the traditional rural displays have disappeared completely, replaced by spray-on tattoos and tacky stalls. It all seems a bit sad and tarnished - or is it just because I've grown 'old and jaded' in my outlook, no longer able to see things with wonder or a fresh perspective - and because I don't have little children to watch their awe and excitement? My favourite stall from those days was the clowns - I would spend most of my money on them.
Drew worked hard at the Pony Club BBQ Stall.................mobbed by customers!




Having a pedicure.

There was a rather bizarre duck race, contested by Quack, Down and Bill - three times around the ring, up and over a ramp and through to the finish line.


Two stewards on the right, an exhibitor on the left.
Four best Birds of Show - ours are on top. Might I point out that my silkie on the left has two ribbons on his cage while the little pullet on the right only has one - does that mean I came third overall, relegating hubby to fourth???!!! I certainly hope that's what it means.
We went back in last night to pick Drew up and ended up watching the camel races - I do so love a camel. Then we watched the aboriginal dance troupe from Toowoomba perform the Rainbow Serpent dreamtime story; the fireworks were excellent; then we watched the smash-em derby for about two minutes before the arena was completely engulfed by dust so we couldn't see a thing - and nor could the drivers on the sound of the crashing and banging going on.

No comments: