Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Flowers for Lunch

More garden news; exciting stuff hey? In July 06 Gibbo and I went south to truck the first tranche of the new wagyu herd. We stayed at a picturebook B&B run by an entertaining man who had lived a rather colourful life to say the least. He cooked us magnificent meals, one of which had stuffed zucchini flowers as an accompaniment. I asked for (and received) the recipe and for the last four years I've occasionally thought "I should make Curly's flowers". So on the weekend, I did. No measuring, a bit of substituting and there they were; they were good but I'm sure they weren't as good as Curly's.
Collect your flowers - I only had 5! Remove the stamens.
Collect your ingredients. The parmesan was waaaayyy beyond its' use by date so I substituted some strong Mersey Valley.
Mix the ricotta, grated cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Prepare the camembert for melting.
Stuff the flower.
Twist the ends; don't worry if the stuffing busts out.
Mix the tempura.
Shallow fry in oil for a couple of minutes.


         
Top with a dollop of melted camembert. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Looks divine Mare!
Don't know that it will fit into my new 'low-cal' lifestyle though!
(I removed my post on trimming down, didn't want to put too much pressure on myself!)