Sunday, July 28, 2013

WPP 26/07/13

(Started this post on Friday night; it's now Sunday morning).

The Woodlawn Permaculture Project kicked off today. I spent a while this morning sitting at the table with a cup of tea and my permaculture book as the winter sunshine streamed in through the window and warmed my back. It was quiet and peaceful and I felt very content. I read and re-read the guild planting and fruit tree sections and decided to go with the plan to put a pond in the middle of my garden to attract frogs and lizards. I don't have a chook dome - I use a round pen that works exactly the same as the one in the book - just on a smaller scale. The chook dome in the book measures 3.8m across - my pen is 1.4m; it's not a huge area but does make the garden easy to work with - I can easily reach into the little garden from any edge without having to stretch or walk into it. Having six gardens plus the existing one should produce more than enough veges just for the two of us.

This is the site. It's in between the chook pens and existing vege garden and the compost bays. There is a slight slope which the book suggests is acceptable. G had to remove a small tree first. This is where the pond will sit.






Tools of the trade.




The Forest chook run; the chooks spend most of their days here, scratching in the bark chip and hay bale. A fence will run down the outside of the row of trees on the right.


The left hand side of The Forest.








No comments: