Monday, July 22, 2013

Hurrah!

Let's have a catch up before I get into the latest photos - Last weekend (13/14) G and I went to the old boys afternoon at the rugby. There were quite a few rather tight old jerseys worn; it was good to see some faces we haven't seen for a while. We managed to get away at a reasonable time (while G was still upright although there was rather a lot of gibberish being spoken). Sunday was Mum's birthday; Drew and I went to town early and took her out for breakfast and around the nurseries. He had to work all day at the pub. The week itself flew by in a blur (I know I say that a lot, but it's true; every week just disappears). I was supposed to have the week off but work commitments took priority (so I've swapped to have this week off). Drew, Mum and I did make a quick trip to Twba to go shopping, mainly for clothes for Drew. I bought a book - Keeping your own Free-Range Pigs written by Jen Owens. We had a week of amazing warm weather in the middle of winter! Beautiful.

I thought of a number of titles for this post - Drama at the Chook Auction; Wet to my Ankles; Chooks in the Drizzle; Wyandottes at Woodford - but I've gone short and sweet with Hurrah! We had a very full weekend of chook related business - on Saturday our club auction was held in grey and drizzling conditions. The chooks were penned in one shed; the auction was in another. My $10 dry weather boots did not survive the day. My socks (and therefore my feet) were soaking wet early on. My jeans were soaked to my ankles. I bid on three OEG lots for Peter for his back yard; the first lot of 3 little spangles were our pick but I had to pull out at $85! I did manage to buy him the next two lots - these two little brown reds and a pen of 3 partridge. Actually, he only wanted 3 so I thought I'd end up with the two brown reds but when he saw them he decided to keep all 5. I was after a couple more for the Woodlawn Permaculture Project which is about to kick off; however, now I'm going to have to source a couple more scratchers from somewhere else.


Then on Sunday we got up early Sunday and left in the dark, heading for the chook show at Woodford (a 2 hour drive). I forgot the camera so had to use my phone. There were some very nice chooks there; the wyandottes won Champion Lace bird and Champion Colour Bird of Show; the white pullet won her class but went no further this time. My plymouth rocks won their classes (hen and pullet) - because they were the only ones entered.

The weather was brilliant. There was some confusion at first because pens had been allocated twice but all was soon sorted out. There was a lot of activity all 'round with a big pony club gathering next to the chook show. There were markets on in town too. After the birds were penned and once the judging had started (G was a steward) I went into town to have a look at the markets. They were surprisingly disappointing. I had expected a vibrant, multicultural display of food and goods but found nothing of the sort. I bought some home grown potatoes and avocados and some raw tea tree honey as well as a punnet each of chilli and tomato seedlings. I have made a friend in the poultry world and she was outside the bakery having a coffee so I sat with her  and her kids for an hour and we learnt a little more about each other. We watched the Sunday harley riders come and go.

Back at the chook show I had the toughest piece of steak ever on a steak burger (I know I only ever eat wagyu but truly, it was tough). Finally we were allowed back into the shed to see the results (at this show owners/spectators were locked out during judging; not a normal rule). I walked around taking pics of the best/most unusual looking birds. I just love chooks.












               








Why did I call this post Hurrah? Because it's the last chook show for the year. I'm a bit "showed out" and so are the chooks. After living in show cages for several months some of them are over it all and don't want to co-operate so much; it's called "going a bit sour". Today we split everyone up into their breeding groups and clipped their bums. For the next few months we'll be furiously collecting and hatching eggs, trying to breed another Australian Champion wyandotte (or silkie or plymouth rock)!

No comments: