Friday, July 5, 2013

Didn't Take Long

I ordered some greenery on Wednesday, mid-morning; the parcel arrived this morning. Admittedly, it only had to come across from Maleny (via I don't know where) but it had to make it's way out to the big green hanging 44gal drum that serves as a "letterbox" at work (you could fit several adults and a couple of small children and a dog or two in it). Overkill, but it looks good.

Anyway, the plants arrived in double quick time. I've bought stock from this business before and have been so impressed with the quality of the plants, the speed of delivery and the information notes that they include. It's my favourite place to shop on-line for this sort of thing.




I bought Galangal, Lemongrass, Golden Shallots and Comfrey.






The lettuce has recovered very well from its frostbite. It looks healthy again. The chooks have been enjoying the outer leaves that I pick each morning and we've been enjoying the inner leaves.




I did a Megan and had a sneak peak at one of the carrots! I've never had great success at growing carrots - I end up with a squashed up little orange thing no longer than a few centimetres. Unlike Megan, I managed to resist the urge to actually pull the carrot - but I'm dying to see what's really going on under the surface.


I planted the whole piece of Galangal in a pot - I didn't want to cut it into 3 pieces in case I disturbed the roots. I figure if it's in a pot at the Tank Pot Garden I'll be able to keep a really good eye on it and monitor its growth. Plus it should remain frost free. When it's ready to pull up I'll split some rhizomes off and replant elsewhere. I'm hoping that in a week or two I'll see the first shoots poking through the surface.


I really should go to sleep. I have to be up in four hours, ready for the trip to another poultry show, this time it's the Qld Show.

No comments: