Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Well This is Nice

We're away from home for a night; Gibbo had to inspect the facilities and do some organising for an upcoming conference and I came along too. On the way down we pulled off onto a side road so that I could do a sign-on for the last of Drew's subjects. Holy cow those sign-ons are nerve wracking. The tute spots just get sucked up out of your mouse even as you press 'save'.... and by the time you go back up the page to the second choice, it's gone too. I only managed to get his 3rd preference on the one I did yesterday and the one today.....all gone in less than 90 seconds.

While Gibbo attended his meeting I agonised over trucking schedules. Again. Still.

Here's our complimentary room. Pics taken on iPhone.


Not having a bath tub at home, I gave this baby a good workout. Laid in there for an hour contemplating some questions I have to answer for an upcoming gathering. More on that in a later post.


The view from the bathroom.


Gibbo's entree - soft shell crab.


My main - it's pork, a Japanese dish with a distinctive name that now escapes me; delicious.


Guess what G had - starts with w and ends with u. He and his colleague asked the waiter to tell them a little more about the meat on the menu...and could they please have a look at it in the kitchen later on. The waiter returned with a crivac pack of......you guessed it.......a whole striploin wrapped in a rather distinctive pack that is very familiar to us!



Being back here has really opened up a flood of memories. As soon as I walked in and saw the Lobby Bar I smiled, remembering a night of fun and laughter and way too many rums with Vince and Sophie, Sean and Prue, Peter D and Wayne S at one of the numerous feedlot conferences we've been to. I walked down the stairs and around to the conference hall and ballroom. The area was empty and quiet but I went straight back to the night Gibbo gave his first speech in front of a big crowd - and how nervous I was for him; and I especially remembered when Gibbo and I and Marcus and Nanette laughed so much we fell off our chairs as Paul W regaled us with his wildy unbelievable (but true) stories. Everyone has moved on since those days, geographically speaking - except us!!

No comments: