Saturday, July 21, 2012

Thai for Tea and a Makeover

Meg came home on Thursday night; she worked from the local office on Friday and had her car booked in for a service. She brought Thai with her. I had my usual Beef Penang (it was just perfect) and she had chicken and cashews in oyster sauce. We sat on the couch in front of the heater and caught up on the few days since we'd been apart. Even though we talk and text every day there were still things to tell each other!

Last night she and I were going to go out for dinner with some others but cried off at the last minute. Instead we went to town and bought very cheap pizzas and some garlic bread, came home and sat in front of the heater and ate. Gibbo was home from Melbourne; Drew was anchored somewhere off Hayman Island after completing his first day of sailing. (The Captains Log is updated each day so we can keep a track of where the ship is).

Then it started! I've said it before - Meg should have been a beautician instead of a correctional type. She is so abreast of the latest developments in all facets of the beauty industry - and she practices on me! Here's the latest - Anastasia Brows - a new (to me) method of shaping your eyebrows. Meg had her eyebrows Anastasia-ised yesterday by a beautician and bought the kit (but refused to reveal it's cost). I now have Anastasia-ised brows too! Apparently by using three different measurements, the template most suited to your preference and current brow shape (and colouring in, with powder, the correct line to follow),  the tweezers, the brush and the gel (all in that order) - your brows will have excellent shape and symmetry! Whew! Exhausting hey?



After that we hit the do it yourself wax (Meg is very good at this, lots of practice). The wooden applicator had become stuck hard in the wax when it cooled earlier - and then it broke off when I tried to remove it, leaving a 3/4 length stick with a very jagged end in my hand and the other 1/4 of the stick embedded in the now cement-like cold wax. I'm just not very good at all this!

Then Meg insisted I let Meg colour my hair. She'd talked me into choosing a box of colour when we'd bought the pizzas. She assured me she knew exactly what she was doing but I was a little alarmed when she read the instructions (and burst out laughing) AFTER I had a head full of cold colour! Dry patch? What dry patch? After a lot more laughing we finally washed the colour out over the laundry tub. It turned out well - a little darker than my regular colour, a lot softer than previously and no silver/grey hairs! We gave my fringe a trim as well. She blow dried and straightened it for me too.


Blurry, but you get the idea. This was about the point that she burst out laughing after reading the instructions. It was a bit late to turn back.


There are more photos but they are a bit too close up and involve way too many wrinkles.


We had a lot of laughs and it was a fun thing to do together. I'm so not into fashion or beauty but I enjoyed it. My only piece of advice to Meg is that, if she ever does become a beautician, she should probably limit the amount of "oops", "oh no's", groans and sharp intakes of breath that she emits!!!!

No comments: