Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cheesey

Meg and I went to another simple living workshop in the little town where we bought the farm. This time it was cheese-making. We learnt a lot, had an interesting "fermented" lunch and enjoyed being together.

It's such a lovely setting.












A selection of utensils and ingredients:


Here's some cheese brought along by the presenter. We had these for lunch. We passed the board around and all had a smell - they were very strong!


We learnt how to "make" the cheese - heating the milk, adding the starter and rennet, letting it sit then transferring it to a cloth or press - which all seemed quite easy. We prepared a brie and a cheddar as much as we could - the maturing process now has to kick in and that takes 4-6 weeks.

The Brie:








The Cheddar:








This one was really easy - Cottage Cheese that can be eaten same day as making. It was just a matter of separating curds and whey:


Lunch was provided by the presenter. It was a showcase of fermented foods, all home-made, from the sourdough bread right through to the dressing on the salad.






This is the lunch selection; all a little startling for the untrained palate! Three of the four cheeses brought along by the presenter:


Brie:


Cheddar:


I can't remember what this was called but it was a combination of grains, pulses and prunes:


Kimchi:


Sauerkraut:


Salad with Miso dressing added just before serving:


Meg's plate; note the slathering of butter!


There was wine:




After lunch we made butter, yoghurt and kefir which had a very strong biting taste but is apparently excellent for "the gut".

Churning the butter, 2012 style.




Washing the butter:


The finished product.


Meg fell asleep at about this point; I had to dig her in the ribs to wake her up.

It was a very informative day; I've read quite a lot about cheese making but to actually see the process helps me to understand it so much better. We bought a couple of tiny sachets of kefir culture and yoghurt starter; they're stored in the freezer for when we decide to try our own hand. We were both quite hungry (!) so it was good to come home to a Gibbo cooked meal of y-bone and veges, including fresh broccoli from the garden.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I didn't actually fall asleep. I was just resting my eyes.

Fiona said...

She didn't fall asleep Mum!

Somebody just asked me the other day if I knew anything about kefir ... which I didn't.
But I do have a sourdough starter sitting in the kitchen at the moment and am looking forward to giving it a go.
Some ladies around here are wanting to go to a cheese-making course coming up soon. I'm just not sure that I have the time to fit it in at the moment.
Hope Drew's made it home safely.