Sunday, July 1, 2012

Slipping By

The week slipped by again! Gibbo and I took my Dad to Bris to see his heart doctor. He had his six monthly check up, the first since getting his new defibrillator last year; all is good. It was a cold, rainy miserable day.

Drew went to the doctor for his medical for the Young Endeavour sail; he leaves on the 19th. We booked a flight and shuttle bus seat from Proserpine to Airlie Beach. He gets his exam results this week and is changing one major from International Inequality and Development to Peace and Conflict. He's been working at our local watering hole on weekend nights and has discovered he has little tolerance for inebriated clients (drunk people are dickheads)......I asked him what he thought the bouncer at the RE might have been thinking the night he threw Drew and his friend out??!! That's different, he reckons! I don't think so...

Meg didn't come home this weekend; she's baby sitting the house and dogs where she lives. Today she indulged herself with breakfast on the deck while watching the latest episodes of those dreadful Kardashians. She's investigating the prospect of working in the UK in the Corrections field. I say go for it; Gibbo isn't so sure it's a good idea. You're a long time married, Meg; besides, Drew and I want to come visit you.

We went to the doctor for Gibbo's latest checkup, all good there although they would like to see him lose some weight. It's been creeping up. He went to Allora today to a poultry show, another wyandotte feature. He won a heap of classes and some more nice ribbons - best large wyandotte and Reserve Champion of Show again. A bonus this time was a nice green towel set - towel, hand towel and washer! I hid them away in the cupboard for future use before he took them to wash chooks for the next show. He took a couple of my plymouth rock girls, a hen and a pullet. They each won their class and four people wanted to buy them. He's off tripping around this week and next and the week after, to CQ for a bull sale, Brisbane and then to Melbourne for a wagyu council meeting.




I rode yesterday, 27.5km, including a quarry hill. I need to do a few more of those before September 8. It was so good out riding; the burning in my glutes let me know I worked hard. I went to the farm today on my own and spent a pleasant few hours cleaning out the house garden, readying it for manure and mulch until the Spring and clearing the grass from around the trunks of the fruit trees. We're not sure what a couple of them are; I guess we'll find out when they produce fruit. I know we've got a lemon, apricot and peach and I hope a lime bush too. I sat on the floor of the dining area in the dappled sunshine and ate my ham, avocado and home grown tomato sandwich and peach fruit tub and texted with Meg about the ownership of a certain plastic green bucket. I left there at 2, intending to go to the office for a couple of hours and then go for another ride....but as often happens, I get my head into something and that's the end of it. So the ride didn't eventuate.






Most of the greenery in this photo will go; it's in piles, waiting to be taken away.









The lemon tree was very overgrown with grass.




Much better!


This is the little orchard. I still have a few more bushes to clean up on the fence line.


Yesterday Gibbo and Drew cut a few more branches down around the house; ones that hang over gutters and the tank and some trees that have died or become so woody that they only have greenery on their very top. Drew will go back this week and drag them away and do some fencing.












The Tour de France is on; I feel inspired although I expect I'll spend many a night watching the start and then wake up on the couch when it's over, not knowing who won the stage, then go and crawl into a hot bed because my electric blanket will have been on for hours and then not be able to sleep so hide the computer under the sheets and read and finally fall asleep around 3 or 4 am. It happens every year. Go Cadel.



No comments: