Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ever Onward

Last weekend the primary school I attended celebrated 150 years of existence. I was there from 1968-1974. My Mum was there between 1940 and 1949, I'm not sure of the exact years. I spent the day with a couple of special people from back then and we went out for dinner that night.

 This is how I learnt to read! I spent ages sitting in the "olden day classroom" going through the Happy Venture books - I remember these stories and books vividly. It must be where I developed my love of words and reading. There were so many pictures I remembered - I was quite blown away. I found the story of the bootmaker who grew the red nastirtiums over his roof and the townspeople all rushed to his aid with buckets of water because they thought his house was on fire! For years I've had the red nastirtium thought in the back of my head and I knew it was a story from my childhood but I couldn't remember it - and then I found it easily on Saturday.

 How about the cover of this book??! How politically incorrect to have a SMOKING horse piloting a plane!!
I actually couldn't stop smiling as I came across book after book that I recognised; it was wonderful!

No comments: