Saturday, September 25, 2010

In the Garden

Out in the garden for hours today. I slept in a little and went to town to pick Drew up and do the grocery shopping - I hardly had anything on my list yet still ended up spending $180. Maybe I should just write a full list, then I won't walk around thinking, "Well there's not much on the list this week, so I'll grab this and I'll grab that". Gibbo spread fertiliser in the house garden beds which is a big help to me. One less job to attend to.

I finally, with a little hint of "aawwhh", pulled the tomatoes out of the original station, no.1 planted in January this year. While the plants still looked quite good the fruit was getting smaller and smaller. Gibbo helped (lovely legs). We added some old hay from Millie's pen and I'm going to leave the bed sit for a week or two and turn it every second day before I plant into it again. I'm thinking of going outside the square and make it a cottage garden flower station. Maybe.





I trimmed the italian parsley and dill and had more than an armful - it all ended up in the compost. You can see where I cut if from.

The parsely looks like miniature trees in a forest.

Random shots. I moved the chooks from their site to the circle that was overgrown with weeds and grass. They weren't ready to move on but I want them to work the grass over before it spreads too far. This is my handsome man in charge of permaculture preparation.















Here's Millie, making herself fat for Christmas.
 These are Gibbo's wyandotte teenagers
 Here's The Ferals - that's Demon Seed in the front (that's what Drew calls her; Megan calls her Peach; I can't repeat what I called her today as I threw her over the fence from INSIDE the permy garden).


1 comment:

Fiona said...

I'm in awe of your beautiful gardens - vege and others. And your lawn is glorious. I've just come in from mowing mine, grabbing a chance while we're not getting showers. Today's been quite fine, 32 mil for the week, but more forecast I believe. Matthew studies the weather, I just listen to him.

Thanks so much for your measurements. I even had Matthew looking at your vege garden photos. He's surprisingly supportive, has been a bit of a vege gardener himself way back. I don't think I can do the round mandala, I already have a fenced off rectangular section that I want to use, and can fit five round gardens in that, may even put some fruit trees in the gaps. I'm going to make a round chook dome tomorrow hopefully. Matthew doesn't know it yet but I'm sending him to town in the truck for supplies (thankfully everywhere's wet so he can't go too far away for work purposes).

Thanks again for your information, I'll let you know how I get on.
Fiona.