Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Chook Washing Day 2

Another day of chook washing; this time 14. It was a rather bleak morning with only intermittent  sun; not a great day for drying. I multi-tasked a bit; the little birds don't take long so I hung around but while the big ones were going through the process I kept ducking off to spray the winter weeds in the garden - and managed to get it all done. Bonus.

Waiting their turn; large silver laced pullets.




There is nothing wetter than a wet chook. I wrap them in a bath towel to remove the excess water, pat their skin dry then rub the feathers gently; the sun does the rest.




These little girls are easy to wash and don't take long to dry; on the left, a partridge; on the right, a silver pencilled.


After the chook washing I climbed the ladder to fix the screws into the ceiling where the piece of tin around the chimney/flue dislodged when G was shaking the chain in it to clean it; I replaced the light bulbs in the kitchen - I'm the only one tall enough to do these jobs - it's a high ceiling, that's why I do them. I went to work for a few hours in anticipation of being away from the office more than I'll be in it this week. On Saturday I rode a pleasant 25km; yesterday I did squats and the 100-Up exercise. I need to get some strength into these scrawny legs of mine in preparation for the big bike ride weekend in August.

The carrot cake slab and the patty cakes are cooked; they're in the freezer waiting to be iced on Friday. I'm still to cook the chocolate muffins and double choc slice but they won't take long. I have a list of "jobs that must be completed" each day. Gibbo has been working on the catalogue and has the full complement of birds allocated to their 316 pens.

No comments: