Monday, January 27, 2014

Well That Got My Blood Pumping

I went looking for something over in the shed. I opened a drawer. I wondered why it was so heavy and hard to open. This is what I found. I got quite an adrenalin rush.

Isn't it beautiful? Now I know where most of my chickens went. Into his belly.  Remember the 17 I took over there a few weeks ago? The next day there were 2 left; 10 were gone and 5 were dead on the floor - and the mesh was still on top of their cage. Two days ago I went to feed those 2 and the 8 that were in another pen. There were only 2 left in it; 4 were gone and 2 were dead on the floor. Mesh still on top. So 4 left out of 25. Crossbreds of course. No silkies. We figured it was a snake; we just couldn't find it. Well, guess what. I FOUND IT...........


I poked him a bit to see how big he was. He's pretty big. I wanted to catch him and move him but G won't have a bar of it. He wants to relocate him too, except we have different ideas about what that actually means and how you go about it. He won't even look at it.




See it's mouth on the left, just under the white edge. You can see where it's tongue kept flicking in and out.


I think I need to call one of my brothers to come help. I grew up with snakes and lizards and wildlife - eagles and hawks in the bedroom, pet shinglebacks and blue tongues and frillies. We had a pet carpet snake in an old bird cage; we used to feed it green tree frogs. Mum was more terrified of the frogs than she was of the snake. She would dress the lizards up and the boys would take them to pet shows. My father once climbed out on a big gum tree limb to retrieve a carpet snake to bring home to show us - the limb broke and he ended up in the river with the tree limb and the snake. He drove home, soaking wet, with the snake wrapped around his arm, tightening itself all the way. I can remember us trying to wind it off his arm. He also once brought us home a very cranky old male koala that he'd found and caught. It was in a hessian bag, making a ferocious screaming sound. Not very cuddly at all. Once we'd all inspected it we took it back to the river to let it go. We learnt a lot of things from my Dad.

I'll let you know how we go with the relocation.

No comments: