Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Carnage at the Compound

Warning - this post is a gruesome one. If you don't want to see mauled poultry, click away now.

G is away in the south (where it was a pleasant 6 deg C yesterday morning). I am in charge at home here. Whenever I am in charge, it seems that something goes wrong. I went up to G's compound this morning just after 7am and found this....


and this.....


The white one has been nesting in the long grass. The bronze one sleeps high up on the double pen. The fox must have come in at daylight once the bronze hen had flown down. She still had quite a lot of meat on her. The poor white one did not. She looked like a pair of angel wings.

This is where the worst of it happened.


What happened up here last night Peppie? You know don't you? If only you could tell me. Did you try to help?




On Monday morning a carpet snake got into the pigeon pen and ate one (before G left for the airport). I asked him how he knew it ate one. I think it had something to do with the enormous bulge between the snake's head and tail. Dead giveaway.

At least the sheep are happy. I feel like the Pied Piper when I give them their feed. They would follow me anywhere!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the sheep in the last photo is coming up for air!