Wednesday, January 22, 2014

This Week

It's been an eventful week. My Dad went to hospital on Monday in an ambulance, short of breath and feeling very weak. I went in to see him and to go through the paperwork and questions for him. Yesterday I went back while he was having a blood transfusion. He's been on oxygen too. Today he didn't remember I was there yesterday until I reminded him. He is feeling a bit better today due to the new blood. We're not really sure where this is leading.

Lately I have been walking with my next door neighbour. We walk up to the top of our farms and back down again, through the dust and dry grass. We knew each other before we moved to our place, but not very well. We're getting to know each other better. She thinks my job sounds really interesting. I was genuinely surprised to hear her say that which made me think I've been doing the job for too long. In my eyes, all I do is shuffle paper and move cattle into and out of feedlots and traipse after G, crossing T's, dotting I's, picking up and rearranging the furniture and putting out fires (metaphorically speaking). Isn't it interesting, the perspective that a fresh set of eyes can have?

I picked my bike up yesterday after a tyre change and service. I mean to reward myself with a ride on the weekend.

We are off to CQ tomorrow to farewell one of our station managers and his wife and family as they head further north to take on a bigger challenge within The Company. It's a quick trip; we'll only be gone for about 30 hours and 12 of those will be taken up with driving. We'll have a quick look at a new lease property while we're there; we could be back up there in a couple of weeks for a bangtail before taking over.

Meg has taken the plunge and signed up with a travel/recruitment agency with the end goal being a winter job in Canada. She has her first interview tomorrow night, just after midnight. I'm excited for her.

As I lie in bed tonight, it's raining outside. We had a wild wind and lightning storm earlier; last night we had 3mm, so far tonight we've had 4mm. I just checked the rainfall on line - we have a BOM weather station on the farm - it's an early flood warning station. It's good to be able to lie in bed or be somewhere far away and find out exactly how much rain we've had.

1 comment:

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Well there's another one of those words...bang tail...I can just imagine...good luck to Meg....if she is on the east coast, there is a possibility maybe we could meet up...as I'm assuming your winter, our summer.....I'm planning on heading to Canada this summer on a road trip. We have been having nasty polar vortex cold here...too cold....