Saturday, June 23, 2012

Simplify Your Life

Meg drove home from Tba this morning and she and I spent most of the day at the "living simply" workshop at Bell. We had a fantastic day along with 48 other women of all ages. It was relaxing, funny, interesting and informative. We're looking forward to the cheese making workshop in a few weeks.


I already had the book; the author signed copies.




First we made laundry liquid - works out to be about $2 for 10 litres. Meg is currently washing her smalls with it.


Then we made strawberry jam - I've never tasted anything quite like it; it actually tastes like the fruit! Who would have thought.






The tasting jar; we all had a little plastic spoon each and dipped for a taste.


Then we had morning tea. Meg was on plate duty; she did well. I had trouble keeping her away for the macaROONs (as opposed to the macaRONs). I think she'll take up making the OONs now.






Then we made tomato chutney - Meg helped by cutting up the capsicum, celery, chilli and onions. She cried.










While the relish cooked we had lunch - mini sausage rolls, mini quiche and beautiful sandwiches. After lunch there was a question and answer/discussion session. There was a lot of talk about making your own soap, something I've been thinking about for a while but not got around to doing. I picked the brains of the lady next to me who made her first batch 5 weeks ago.

The cafe and attached hall are decorated 1950s style; the cups and plates are all old fashioned china.








We brought home a small sample of what was made; washing liquid, tomato relish and strawberry jam. Meg won one of the lucky door prizes - a skein of natural cotton. The other jar holds concentrated lime cordial made and shared by one of the women who runs the cafe. She intends holding a barter day soon.


1 comment:

Fiona said...

I wish I lived closer.
Doesn't the hall look lovely.