Sunday, June 3, 2012

Getting Involved

Gibbo was travelling home from Surat during the week and heard talk of an upcoming workshop at Bell. He thought it might interest me so sent a rather cryptic text with scant details. I googled and found the workshop details and it turns out that it is going to be run by the woman who writes the blog "down to earth"; she's also written a book which I bought a couple of months ago. What excellent timing - we buy a small farm and then find out that a couple of local ladies have recently (5 weeks ago) launched a small business that offers up just the sort of things I've been reading about and imagining for years! I shot off an email and heard back the next day that I'm booked in. Then I shot off another email and booked Meg in too!

I received a very informative newsletter that listed other workshops and meetings. When we went to the farm on Saturday Meg and I called in at the hall and booked ourselves into the Cheesemaking & all Things Dairy workshop in July - and look who it's run by - a permaculture teacher. Oh be still my beating heart.

I look forward to finding out when the mosaic and soap making lessons are on; we're so gonna do those too hey Meg?

I can't do the Bluedog Photography workshop even though I'd love to - because I'll be on my BIKE RIDE!! I signed up for this year's ride last week; Gayndah to Noosa via Hervey Bay.

Work? What work? I won't have time to work!

And I think we've settled on a name for the farm; originally it was Sliprail and everyone was ok with that but I had some reservations. Sliprail is here and it's very personal and important to me; I feel a strong emotional attachment to it and I think it should stay here. The kids and I tossed around a few other names as we drove around today and I came up with something quite relevant for the farm's location (although it doesn't have the word Bell in it!). I need to mull over it for a day or two more before finally deciding. It's a bonus that the words "wagyu" and "organics" run smoothly off the end of it if we choose to go down that path!

No comments: