Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Done Good

Drew came home for the weekend to work at Mary's to help them cope with the picnic race crowd. It was lovely to have him home for a few days, particularly as Gibbo left early Saturday for cricket in Bundaberg then two days at a genetics conference in Rockhampton and Meg stayed in Tba for Holly's birthday party and the macaron cooking marathon today.

Drew worked Friday night and last night; he got home at 3.15 this morning! Yesterday we went out for lunch.


He drove. During the ride in he told me he thinks I should take next year off, to take time to set up and settle in to the new place. His perceptiveness impressed me.

I asked him how he sees his year in Canada now that he's been home for four months. He said it was worth every minute, even the tough times. I asked him what was the "biggest" thing he learnt from being away. He knows now that whatever situation he finds himself in he will survive. He went to the other side of the world, not knowing a soul; he fronted up at a school where he was in the minority in both race and religion and he made it work; he had a very difficult first five weeks that sent him to the depths of despair with homesickness and sadness but he stuck it out and I am quietly proud of the person he has become (what doesn't kill us makes us stronger); he went away a boy but he came back a young man. He has a confidence that I admire. I have to remind myself that I don't need to worry about him so much any more; he's become the independent young man I always wanted him to be. I have done good with both my children.

When we got home he laid on the floor and Poofy helped him with his essay on whether "terrorism constitutes the greatest threat to the sovereign state". Poofy's view was that the only terrorists he's ever met have four legs and horns and he'd like to see them in another state completely!


Later Drew moved himself to the table and did some serious research and writing. I felt very content as I lounged on the couch under my favourite green blanket, reading, with my boy close by.

Before he went to work at 8.30pm I took up his too long black pants then made him some jam drops and choc chip biccies to take back to College. He downloaded Instagram onto my iPhone too. It's pretty cool. I had tried several times to download it but it just wouldn't work. Obviously my Baby Boomer skills were outdone by Drew's Gen Y skills 'cos now it's on my phone.




He headed back to Uni this afternoon. I always feel a little sad when my kids leave to go back to where they live now. I miss them always but I'm glad they're both living where they are, doing what they're doing. It's bittersweet and it's something that will never change for me.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Mare you've certainly done good!
How about that macaroon-making Meg, I'm in awe.