Sunday, May 29, 2011

My Poor Bike

Gibbo checked my bike for me this morning and pumped up the tires. The poor old girl hasn't seen any action for over twelve months. Disgraceful that I haven't ridden for that long. Even more disgraceful is the condition I've let her get into. I can't believe I've neglected her so much - these photos show the level to which I've ignored her. She has lived in the gauzed room, leaning up against the wall. I suspect she's been wee-d on by Poofy, a multitude of mice will have been all over her, spiders have nested in the crevices, there was a wasp nest in the tool bag, and she's rusty in places. How awful.

I've dragged her out because I'm contemplating doing a week long bike ride in September. I haven't entered yet; still waiting to see if a few other things come together but they're only minor speed bumps. This year there's really no excuse not to do it.






So off I went. It took me three goes to get my shoes in the pedals and get rolling. I couldn't remember which levers changed which gears; I had to experiment all the way up the hill. I only went out for twenty minutes on the road down the front of our driveway - and along came five cars and a truck! I got down to the highway to turn around just as it started spitting rain. I was only slightly damp when I made it back to the car but by the time I threw the bike and gear in the back and headed home it was bucketing down. I met Gibbo on the road - he was coming to find me, imagining that I'd been caught out in the downpour and stranded somewhere. I wondered if this was a sign of things to come in September; are the cycling Gods trying to tell me something? How much am I going to want to ride all day and erect and dismantle my own tent if the weather is like this!!!??!!

On a brighter note, I seem to have my sidebar back - well, sort of. It disappeared on me a couple of months ago. I've deleted it and re-set it but it doesn't really want to go where I want it to. If I look at sliprail on the laptop, the Archives are at the bottom of the page; if I look at it on the iPad, they're on the right hand side. I don't really mind where they sit, just as long as it it's somewhere.

In the shape of things to come, this week marks the beginning of my 4 and 1/2 day office working week. Let's see how long it lasts.

No comments: