Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mothers Day 2011

I had a really quiet Mothers Day this year. The cat woke me up at 3.10am. It was unceremoniously dumped in the hallway and the door shut firmly. Gibbo was up around 5.30am, getting ready for the Allora Young Birds Show. I didn't go. I was just too tired.

Drewy rang at 7am and we talked for a while. Megs came and got into bed with me not long after and brought Coco and Chloe. She arrived bearing gifts..........a beautiful new scarf from my favourite shop, Tree of Life - gorgeous colours and just perfect for winter.
A little paper mache duck trinket box 'cos I'm a duck breeder now.
Stickers for my 365. She knows I'm always lookin' for stickin'.
And here's the card. It's hilarious. I burst out laughing when I read it; so did she, when she bought it. So did Gibbo and Chris when they read it at teatime.
Then I had tea and toast in bed...thanks Meg. I didn't get up until 10 o'clock. I just laid in bed, reading. It was absolute bliss. I haven't done that for years and years.
When I went to the garden I discovered these - potato shoots!!
I covered them so the pesky rats don't eat them.

I spent the day doing..........nothing, just as the card suggested. I made pea and ham soup and caught up on some reading and I cut out some newspaper things that caught my eye. I went for a 4km walk - I like to do something special on Mothers Day remembering when Drew and I did two MD Runs in Brisbane. I should have gone in to the local one but I'm over crowds and talking and smiling. I'm worn out. So I just walked and took photos. 




The sky was fantastic-this photo was taken at 6.37pm. It wasn't as spectacular as the sunset yesterday - it was really something to see. I have photos but they'll be in the next post. I've never seen anything like it.
 These three were taken within minutes of each other around 6pm.


And I took this at 7pm when I got home and locked the chooks up. By then Gibbo was home from the chook show with some ribbons and two "stable table" prizes for Champion Wyandotte and Champion Pekin. The judge thought our silkies had too big pompoms and couldn't see. I probably agree with him especially after seeing a white one run into the duck cage last weekend. I think some strategic trimming is in order for the girls.
 
 Here's a sneak peek from the Alpaca Farm Open Day. Mum, Meg and I spent a couple of hours there yesterday. I've had a hard time culling the photos down to something reasonable (well in my book, reasonable - in somebody else's opinion - probably ridiculous!). Anyway, make up your own mind tomorrow.


1 comment:

Fiona said...

Sounds like a blissfully relaxing Mother's Day Mare. Love the card. And potato shoots! My spuds are still on the kitchen bench, must get them in the ground. Have a great week.