Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Did I?

Yes I did. I got up at an ungodly hour and went to Kingaroy with Gibbo and 48 chooks. The car was packed to the brim. On the way, this young fellow thought he'd check out the scenery and proceeded to pop his head out of his box every few minutes and crow. He was just over my right shoulder.
We had so many chooks we had to take a trailer. We had a visitor - she came to check out what all the fuss was about. Backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards we went, from the car to the pavilion (for the show chooks) and the outside shed (for the sale chooks). We came back to the car at one stage and the young crower had managed to extricate himself from the box and was loose in the back of the car - and so was his female mate.

Gibbo got a little over-excited and dragged a rooster out of the small blue travelling cage and a silkie cockerel dropped out on the ground. I grabbed it. When I turned around, Gibbo was crawling along the ground like a commando - he'd lost control of the rooster and it got away. I don't quite know how he caught it again, but he did. Talk about a circus.

Judging is a very serious affair at these shows. People hover, attempting to hear what the judge is saying to the steward. He writes the placings on a small piece of blackboard nailed to each pen.
Luckily the canteen was open all day. Once the birds were all penned we had a hot breakfast. I went back later for tea and lamingtons.

What do they think about, sitting there all day, people walking past gawking at them? Poking them, prodding them.

This silkie came second, beaten by her sister.
Action - see the ribbon on the left? There was a lot of conjecture about the awarding of that particular ribbon. Some thought an inferior bird had won that category; others could justify the decision based on the slant of the tail and the hips being wider than the wings. It's very serious business, showing chooks.
At the end of the day I was sitting on the steps of a nearby building, sunning myself. I was talking to Drew on skype. I saw a man with a large net - and a chook, running wild. I said to Drew, "Oh no, someone's chook is out. They're going to catch it with a big net. Hahaha". Then I said to him, "I hope it's not one of ours, hahaha". To my horror, when they caught the bird in the net - they handed it to Gibbo. It was one of ours (well - one of his)!!!! How embarrassing.

So at the end of the day we won a few of our classes and Gibbo won Champion Wyandotte; no ribbons this time. I got up before it was light. I got windswept. I got pooped on. I got skwarked at. I got scratched. But I had a good day. A long hot shower and a dinner of grilled Millie chops and steamed veges and gravy finished the day off perfectly.

No comments: