Sunday, December 27, 2015

Funny Fungi

Drew sent me an early christmas present - a log of straw, seeded with mushroom spoors - oyster mushrooms! What a cool process to watch!

I left the bag sit for a couple of days.








When a good covering of mycelium was evident I cut 3 slits in the bag. The instructions were to remove most of the bag but the lady told Drew that, because of the hot weather, I should just do the smaller openings.






I kept misting it and after a couple of days, these appeared.


Then these!


Each day they grew a little bigger.






 They look like little houses for fairies. Or aliens.


We ate them for breakfast with bacon and eggs. Delicious. The log will continue to produce; when it's finished we'll dig the log into the garden bed and see what happens.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

What a fun present - the gift that keeps on giving!