Monday, November 4, 2013

Wrap Up

G was away most of the week, arriving home late on Thursday night. We worked from home on Friday via a very slow and patchy internet connection then went back to the feedlot Friday night for the much anticipated hindquarter roast dinner. In our case we had a butcher cut it up into several pieces; the other feedlot did theirs whole a few weeks ago.


Yesterday G dug 22 holes in the garden for me - much quicker than I would have been able to do. I just parted the hay, pointed at the spare spot and said - "here please". Later I went along and threw in a handful of dynamic lifter/blood and bone bone mix followed by a bucket of water.








These are the plants I'll be putting in the holes - most of them are cuttings I brought with me from the feedlot.


The weekend flew by quickly as they always do. We've walked each morning since Friday. G is trying to do 10,000 steps a day to help his weight, waistline and diabetes; the walk to the tank at the top of the farm and back almost meets half his quota. We moved the cows on to their next paddock on this morning's walk which added an extra thousand or so steps. We gave another bale of hay to the weaners and filled up their syrup trough - which, to cut a long story short, wasn't as easy as it should/might have been but we manager in the end. When it comes to needing strength and brute force I am not a lot of help. If it's logic you're after, I'm your girl.




Meg and the family she lives with had a Halloween party last night; here she is with MH, looking beautifully angelic.


Drew swam laps at a charity event at the coast today. I don't have any pics though. His first exam is Saturday, then two on Monday with the last one on Thursday - so this should will be a week of heavy study.

Jamie came for dinner; this time he got the Lightning goat roast (he came last Sunday as well but we had to have pork roast because Meg refused to eat any part of her goat). Here it is before it went into the oven.


I fossicked in the garden again and pulled some good sized beetroot and weird shaped carrots, some rosemary for the roast, some small tomatoes that went into the oven as well and some dinky little potatoes. I had to supplement this haul with some store bought pumpkin, sweet potato and an extra potato.


Earlier in the day I used eschallot, parsley and tomatoes from the garden and five big beautiful plymouth rock eggs to make mini quiches for lunch.

No comments: