Sunday, November 17, 2013

Mare Goes Fishing

Our hosts had told us before we left the south that we would be going fishing. We thought that meant we'd be going to a barramundi farm to catch one in an aerated pond. We didn't realise that they meant we were actually GOING FISHING!!

Before we left they took us to the main part of the resort where guests stay. They actually own a unit in the residential section, a little way distant from the main area.


We drove for about 50 minutes north of PD and arrived at a jetty and barge area and boarded a charter boat.








We were on the Daintree River! Our humble pond fishing experience became a fantastic ocean fishing experience a few km outside the mouth of the Daintree River. We couldn't believe it. It was a dream come true for Gibbo - he loves to fish, especially ocean fish - and it was all such a surprise! For the first time in about six years he was on a charter boat. Not being the most enthusiastic fisherwoman (ask my brothers) I was just happy to be there! If we caught fish, that would be a bonus - if we didn't - well, meh.






LW hooked the first fish; Gibbo got the second. I think CW got the third.






Gibbo got this oceanic jew.






Then I caught THIS ONE!!! I haven't caught a fish since I was probably 10 years old, sitting on the bank of the Condamine River at home, fishing with a rangoon rod, no reel, just a worm on the hook. You either flung the fish back over your head or raced up the bank with the rod until the fish was out of the water. I didn't like fishing as a kid. It was boring. If I didn't catch a fish in the first five minutes I couldn't see the point of sitting there for hours. Bit like watching cricket really. My family can't quite believe these photos!

I had no idea what I was doing but it was a lot of fun. Gibbo kept saying "drop and wind, drop and wind". I just did what I'd seen blokes do on tv - pull up really hard, drop the tip and wind like mad!!






I caught another shark but we let him go.



My gear of choice! Haha. A left handed winder. Apparently you need the winder on your strongest side.




STEP AWAY FROM THE CONTROLS....DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING...I REPEAT, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. (Meg and Drew - can't you just see G's brain ticking over, itching to touch something)?!!


My full rig.


Two fish got hooked at once - CW and Gibbo pulled them in.


Gibbo had to go to the other side of the boat while LW watched on.


This is what they hooked; CW pulled his in first then G landed his! A big mouth nannagi (or something like that)!


Then I hooked one; I had to use both hands to pull up on the rod! 




The nob in the middle of the photo is Cape Tribulation. For me, Cape T has always held a sense of awe and wonder - a part of Queensland that is wild and rugged and just a little mysterious and primal. I had no idea we were that close.


Heading back we passed Snapper Island; it reminded me of Hideaway Island in Vanuatu.


We drove a few kms north to Daintree Village and took some of our fillets to the cafe where they cook them up and give you chips and salad for $12.


It was a really delicious meal. We sat and talked for a long time while the heat and humidity rose.


We had a brilliant day. The boat skipper was a great bloke. Our hosts are wonderful people who have made us feel very welcome. We've talked and laughed a lot. They lived the corporate life big time for many years living in London, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Toronto and they're very interesting people. We sat up late outside and had a grazing meal of teriyaki prawns, marinated lamb choplets and little pork sausage buns and salad, washed down with copious amounts of wine, and watched the bandicoots scoot across the lawn between us and the beach. So relaxing and peaceful.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Looks like a wonderful escape for you both Mare. Enjoy yourselves, you deserve it.