Sunday, October 20, 2013

Garden Inspiration

We turned off at Lorne and headed inland, our destination a silkie breeder and landscape gardener about an hours drive away. This man is featured on the cover of Grass Roots No 213 Oct/Nov 2012 and also in the latest edition of Good Organic Gardening Sep/Oct 2013.

If I wasn't inspired by the Anakie and Bendigo gardens I certainly was after I left this place. Some people just have a knack and an eye for design/placement/colour. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. I need to think outside the square a bit more. Ian's garden was a mix of natives, succulents, veges, flowers, fruit trees, chooks and art. There was form but it wasn't formal. Veges mixed with flowers in the kitchen garden. There were quirky sculptures (barb balls) and features (rustic trough floats). Admittedly, he has been there for 15 years and it gave me lots of food for thought.

His silkies were big and beautiful. His hamburghs were spectacular and his old english game plentiful and colourful and cheeky. His main pen setup was fantastic and his use of the deep litter concept so much more developed than mine (due mostly to the cold wet climate I guess). 

This visit was a highlight of the trip for me.

Spectacular Phoenix. Gibbo really liked these.




Partridge and white silkies.


Big pens, protected by plastic sheeting in the winter and shade cloth in the summer.




Hamburghs.


Barb balls.








Trough floats.


The Kitchen Garden.
















No comments: