Sunday, August 26, 2012

This Weekend

The last weekend of Winter, phew; it wasn't so bad. A heater, an electric blanket and a fluffy dressing gown (and special green blanket) kept me warm throughout.

The weekend has flown by. Meg came home Friday night and went for a new hair arrangement on Sat morning.



Poofy likes it so much he kissed her.


She arrived bearing gifts from Melbourne, purchased from two of my favourite shops - kikki k and typo. These will be put to good use in this year's 365 journal.


Peppie went to a goat farm to "get in kid". She has lots of new friends - 12 sheep, 15 goats and a calf. She's in a paddock of oats. We figure she's probably forgotten us already as she lies lazily on her side, nibbling the oats and wondering who those creatures were that she used to live with who never gave her food like this.


My car came home with an unbuckled door and a new ugly racing stripe. I'll be looking out for beasts more carefully from now on.


We went to a little party last night for an 8 year old boy. We had fondue for dessert. Actually, Meg had a lot of fondue for dessert. We spent half the night texting pictures to Drew.




I rode today after a 3 day enforced layover. I hurt my left foot last Thursday whilst interval training a little too enthusiastically. I woke up very early Friday morning with a throbbing foot that I could hardly dare to put weight on. I took myself off to the doctor who told me that no, I didn't have a stress fracture, I'd probably just burst some blood vessels in the ball of my foot and to "leave the interval training to the 20 year olds". Harumph! I may have over-reacted been overly worried about the injury bruising but I was terrified pretty worried that my bike ride was in jeopardy. However, after today's ride I know that I'll be on the start line on the 8th.

It was a brilliant day to ride. There were wedgetail eagles, protective plovers, cockatoos, kookaburras, magpies, peewees, cross, wild cats, dead roos, bruce springsteen, jimmy barnes and lots of sunshine. I rode along singing and thinking and totally enjoyed it, even the 5 quarry hills. 


After my ride we went to the farm and did some pruning, Gibbo style. 


Upon our arrival we discovered that he had lit the bonfire of previously pruned trees that Drew had dragged to the pile. I asked him why he'd lit it up - "because boys men like to burn things and blow shit up" (but that last bit is another story best kept for another time).



We now have the main garden cleaned out of old woody and dead trees and plants. It sure has opened it up. Next weekend we will grind the stumps and hopefully mulch; then I'll start to plan out the garden setting. Megan helped. Sort of.







Here's Meg helping again.


Meg made more macaroons, this time to celebrate the eventual arrival of new baby Brayden Carter F. He sure took his time getting here.








And so the weekend is done. It was busy, we did lots of things but there was someone missing. I'll eat a macaron for you Drewy. Maybe I'll even have two. 

1 comment:

Ainsley said...

Wow, those macaroons look amazing. Might show Tess those and she might be tempted to have a go..Look forward to seeing the garden evolve, especially now that Spring is in the air!