Sunday, August 19, 2012

Feeling Industrious

I decided on Friday (just as I finished the last of the home made relish) that I'd do a bit of cooking on the weekend. The kids weren't coming home, Gibbo would be playing cricket, work was nearly up to date (with just the R&D stuff to make some sense of) and all I had to achieve was a ride, a bit of food shopping and some work at the farm.

Saturday we went to the farm; Gibbo fenced while I sprayed. I listened to and danced my way through two hours of songs on my ancient iPod - an original mini that came out so long ago I can't even remember! (I just googled it - released in 2004 but I think it was 2005 that they hit Australia). Meg was in Grade 12 and Drew was in Grade 7. I was in my early 40's and Gibbo was years off reaching 40!!! Geez Louise!! The kids have had several new models since then but I've stuck to old faithful (iPod and husband)!

After lunch I went for a ride; just 23km but into a wicked headwind on the way out which of course made me fly home. I did some intervals on the way back and worked hard then went off to Newton's Hill and rode up twice - 350m at 11% gradient. I made Gibbo come with me to stand guard at the top to let me know if anything was coming over the hill - it's a narrow road that has a long crest. He doesn't think I should do that anymore; thinks it's a bit dangerous - but at least I feel confident that I'll be able to handle the hills on the ride. I just need to keep getting miles into my legs between now and Sept 8. That idea wasn't helped during the week when the goat and I had another disagreement. She won again, this time by hitting me right on the hip bone. It hurt like crap and I think she hit a nerve because everything on my left side zinged all day and I skipped exercising altogether.

Last night we had Green and Gold wagyu for dinner with combination fried rice. We sat on the couch and watched NZ beat us in the rugby again; I fell asleep.

This morning Gibbo left early for Buderim for cricket; they are into the final. I spent the morning in the kitchen making tomato relish and strawberry jam. 1kg of tomatoes yielded 4 little jars of thicker than last time relish and 1/2kg of strawberries yielded two small jars. Just perfect quantities for us. The jam set so well I think I'll have to cut it with a knife!


I'm yet to make the home made lemonade using the lemons from the farm tree. That's a job for this afternoon. When I was last in Brisbane I had an incredibly fresh tasting lemonade/rosemary drink so I'm going to try to copy it.



I didn't have enough tomatoes from the home garden so had to buy some shop ones.









It's pretty thick!!


No comments: