Monday, July 19, 2010

The Week That Just Went

Week 1 Term 3 has gone; 9 to go. Monday was pupil free and also my tuckshop rostered day so I've only got maybe 3 of those left.

Drew was a waiter at the launch of the Business Excellence Awards.

Megan had a scan and ultrasound that found a 4.1cm ovarian cyst.

I took Peter to hospital for his op.

Went to a P&F meeting; not many of those left either.

Drew went to see Fame at QPAC.

I went to the dentist - again. No more visits now for 9 months.

Gibbo was picked up at the airport and flew to Wylarah, Goonoo, Canobie and Brunette where the entourage inspected cattle in a one million acre paddock. One. Million. Acres. Even with a camp at each end, how do you cover that much ground?

Drew had a haircut and got new passport photos.

Peach, the baby goat, was born.

WEP rang and arranged an interview for Tuesday in Twba.

Drew went to an overnight party at J's for her 17th. There had been quite a lot of anguish one night during the week once I found out a) there would be no adult supervision and b) the venue was a public camping ground - a bunch of 17yr olds partying at a public camping ground - no way. I told him he couldn't go under those circumstances - I was NOT his favorite mother at that stage. I tried to explain the reasons but they fell on deaf (teenager) ears; it meant nothing that Gibbo, Meg, Chris and even the entourage all agreed that the scenario was asking for trouble. Then late Friday afternoon the venue was changed to J's house and her 22yr old sister (a friend of Meg's) would be there - so he was allowed to go. Gibbo drove him out after work and I picked him up the next day. They had a great time, everyone was safe and all was well. It was vveerrryyy difficult to tell him he wasn't allowed to go (lots of grumbling about how I was the only mother who thought like that, I'm never allowed to do anything !!??, everyone else is going, L's mother told her she was old enough to make her own decisions etc etc) but I was strengthened by the belief that I was doing the right thing and I stuck to my guns. Lucky those curly ones are few and far between.The argument left me sad and deflated for a little while though.

I made a big pot of pea and ham soup - hocks, split peas, onion, carrot and leek - using a combination of two recipes. One was from Gourmet Traveller and the other from the TV program, River Cottage. It was delicious. We had it for tea last night and the balance is now in the fridge, set thick and green and just waiting for lunch. It's always better the second day. I remember that Mum used to have a pot of soup on the stove top for days and days and she'd just keep adding to it. It was filled with everything imaginable including chooks feet, hearts and gizzards. The feet and gizzards were my favourite bits.

A new week awaits. It's busy, with a driving test, 2 trips to Twba for tb tests for Canada, the interview and final preparations for our trip OS.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Is Megan okay Mare?
I was just talking to a friend at school this afternoon (P & C meeting) who had an ovary removed last week due to a cyst.
Drew will appreciate your concerns when he one day is a parent! I'm glad my kids are still young enough that I'm yet to face such dilemmas.
When do you head overseas?
Fiona.