Thursday, July 29, 2010

Not Long Now

I can't believe that in three days time I'll be leaving the country - and my children. After writing a long list last weekend I've slowly worked through it, doing a couple of jobs each night so as to be as stress free as possible on the weekend. The only things left to do are to ring T, remind the kids how to restart the pump if it goes out and transfer some money (oh and vacuum, but that's last on the list).

I took up Gibbo's cricket pants and jeans; Drew and I finalized Canada; I photocopied the itinerary and all the other docs for the kids and my Mum; I took Drew's passport appln in for processing; replied to a formal invitation at The Stamford during Ekka week (an apology, phew, had to leave the country to avoid that one, don't do social events all that well); cancelled the papers, got a new side mirror on my car; had a hair colour and cut; put a request in for an audition date for Drew at USQ; distributed the PEB minutes and agenda for August meeting; went to Twba for ear appointment one day and back again the next for the first of this term's Drama workshops and worked, teaching Sarah what I can about my job (and tracked down 200 rogue EU tags).

Gibbo spent Mon and Tues in Brisbane at endless rounds of meetings. He's really not the meeting type. Today he closed off a big deal that's been dragging on so he's pretty relieved.

Drew drove to town today (twice), his first trips driving alone. The leadership team went to school at 6-30am and cooked breakfast for the teachers who have two days of pupil free for the DLP work; so he has today and tomorrow off.

We had good news all round on the medical front. Meg's cyst is ok and won't be operated on; my brother got the all clear on his op and my ear problem appears to be caused by a tiny, tiny bone that sits inside the ear and vibrates to let sounds in and out. In my case, it's stopped vibrating, therefore letting less sound in and not much sound out at all - hence the pulsating sound I hear 24/7. It can be fixed by having an operation to replace it which I'll consider having when I return home. I can't bear this noise in my ear for the next 30 years.

So tomorrow will be busy tying up ends at work and rescheduling arrivals after another big purchase then home to finish things here. Saturday I'll pack and we leave early on Sunday to go to UQ Open Day to have a look at Languages, International Relations and Leo's College. Then maybe Gibbo will go to a Bronco's game while I go to Mary Ryan's. Drew will come back home with K & L and stay with Grandma; we will stay with Ben and Lillie - then fly out on Monday at 1.55pm to Singapore. But - I'll be home in less than three weeks!!!!

1 comment:

Fiona said...

You're always so busy Mare.
Firstly, congratulations to Drew on the driving front. Can only imagine the angst that will cause you Mum.
And pleased to hear good news regarding the health issues.
Have a wonderful trip away. Relax and enjoy. Who knows, maybe you'll come home with a whole new appreciation of cricket!
You will keep blogging won't you!!!
Take care, safe trip...enjoy!
Fiona.