Saturday, April 25, 2009

I'm a Leonard Fan

I'm a recent Leonard Cohen convert, a new fan, a devoted follower of the smooth as silk voice - then again, maybe I'm not such a new fan. I've been reading a bit about him in the last little while; he was in Brisbane a few months ago and a columnist I like to read wrote about his concert, his songs and lyrics. Something in my memory shifted and I started to wonder if it was the same Leonard I had listened to in the late 70's/early 80's. My boyfriend and I would play tapes in the player of his Holden ute - but I can't remember whether it was Leonard Cohen or Lynyrd Skynyrd I was actually listening to. I started to think it was more Skynyrd than Cohen - because after listening to my new CD (The Essentials) I'm sure I'd remember these songs. Then again, that deeply mesmerising, mysterious and sexy voice of Cohens' does touch a chord with something inside me from long ago so maybe it was him. To listen to him through a set of quality headphones would be awesome - especially Hallelujah. Almost hypnotic. Drew also thinks LC's voice is hypnotic but not in a positive sense - he thinks it's the worst voice he's ever heard, depressingly awful, and he has to hit the off button when he gets in the car. Ha! The youth of today has no taste in music!

No comments: