Saturday, March 2, 2013

Never a Dull Moment

Gibbo called me this morning to "come and have a look at this" - a parrot had flown into the chimney of the fireplace in the lounge room and was caught behind the (rather dusty) fire screen. Luckily, I'd say, on the look of the audience.

We managed to drop a towel down into the top opening and over the bird; then I got my hand in the bottom opening and grabbed the bird's body through the towel. The cat was jumping from one lounge chair to the other and onto the little cupboard; the dog was going ballistic, yipping and whining. "Will it bite me"; "No it won't bite you".








In between the photo above and the photo below, all hell broke loose. The bird latched onto my middle finger and wouldn't let go; ("it won't bite you, it won't bite you", he said). I yelled long and loud and the only way to make it let go was to wrench my finger out of it's beak. Then the bird squeezed out of the towel and flew towards the window, followed closely by the cat and the dog and the two of us. Gibbo finally caught it and let it go outside; the last we saw of it, it was flying erratically off into the distance, with a bouncing, yipping fox terrier tearing after it. My finger is still sore tonight. I bet the bird is still pretty freaked too.


That's two days in a row now that all hell has broken loose - yesterday, the cat in the bag; today the bird in the chimney. I wonder what tomorrow might bring.


No comments: