Saturday, March 2, 2013

And So It Goes, On and On and On and On....

It's still raining. I woke up at 5am and it was pouring, bucketing down. It stayed like that for hours. Then the sun came out for 5 minutes, then the rain started again. So much rain. At least we're safe from flooding up here on the ridge. I keep getting the local council flood updates; the creek in town is expected to peak at midnight tonight, higher than the flood in January.

We're still packing and will be for days. We can't get to the dump to get rid of rubbish and we can't get to the farm to unpack anything so the boxes just keep piling up in the living room. Had a few stressful moments today when Gibbo and I were going through cupboards together. We have differing opinions (oh really??) on what constitutes "keep" and what constitutes "ditch". I'm much more of a ditcher than he is. I EVEN DITCHED TWO BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN POSTERS FROM 1985 (THEN 5 MINUTES LATER I TOOK ONE OF THEM BACK. SLOWLY DOES IT (AND I'LL BUY A NEW ONE ANYWAY IN A COUPLE OF WEEK'S TIME). I finally threw out the five years of high school athletics carnival programs that my mother religiously recorded all my results in. They are so mouse eaten and faded that they're barely readable any more.

I have a Nostalgia Box though. It has things in it from my childhood bedroom and small keepsakes from over the years. One can't be too hasty (did I say I was a ditcher)?

About 4pm we were sitting in the mess discussing what we'd have for dinner and trying to work out where to start next. Gibbo looked out the kitchen window and said, "the xxxx's are here". I looked out and there were 6 people walking towards the door. I was bra-less, barefoot, wearing black track suit pants that are too short and my hair was dragged back into a ponytail; I was covered in dust. Not my best look. I was horrified and so embarrassed. We talked for a while but I was pre-occupied with my very unkempt appearance. I was not expecting visitors at all.

Later, Gibbo thought we should ask them back tomorrow night for a bbq dinner. Hello? In this mess? Right in the middle of packing up the entire house? There's one narrow walkway through the living area and there's nowhere to sit. I am totally focussed on packing and moving with no detours. I wonder if men (or is it just mine) think before they speak and if they do, what do they think with?

No comments: