Sunday, January 13, 2013

Getting There

We're making good progress. Yesterday I went to the house and removed the tape from Drew's room and had another go at removing the stubborn wallpaper glue from Meg's walls. I think I might finally have found the answer - lots and lots of moisture and a diamond blade tool.

Today we met our friend Dave (aka Project Manager) back there. Drew was a reluctant starter - he worked at the pub last night and didn't get home until 2am. Getting him moving this morning wasn't easy but I told him we couldn't do it without him for two reasons - 1) Dave hurt his arm at cricket yesterday and 2) we don't want Gibbo handling a paintbrush. He's great for mixing paint, pouring paint, moving ladders and sheets and passing the cleanup cloth but he's a bit gung-ho with a paintbrush so we try to keep him busy. Meg is at the coast so missed all the work this weekend.

We got through a power of work this morning. Dave's arm ended up being ok enough to roll so I cut in, Drew rolled my paint and Dave did the rest of the rolling. We finished the second top coat completely and then started on the second coat of green (pale eucalypt). We worked hard and fast and managed to finish the whole lot. The last section was finished in record time as Gibbo had to be back home to meet a guy who was coming to fix a hole in our 20,000gal tank. It's one from the old farm that was damaged in a storm; we'll put it up the top of the laneway as a back up for the existing concrete tank.






The dining area still has tape around the floor and windows. I'll remove it tomorrow.


What's left? This was the biggest job so it's a huge relief to have it finished. I'll paint the rail in warm beige and wash the ceiling. I also need to lightly sand and varnish the window surrounds; they look a bit tired and will really shine with a clear coat. I put my critical eye on (more so than usual) and decided that the pantry needs painting; I'll do that gradually over the next few weeks. Meg's room needs the glue removed and a paint job and Dave wants to spray our walk-in robe; I'd be quite happy to leave it as it is. We're not painting our bedroom or the "middle" room; they'll just get a good wash.

Then it's just the sanding and revarnishing of the wooden floor in the lounge/kitchen/dining and the renovation of the bathroom/toilet area; paint that and the laundry and we're done.

It was hellishingly hot this afternoon, the hottest I've felt in amongst a whole lot of hot days. I'm heading outside to immerse myself in the pool (it's 9pm).

No comments: