Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Weekend

I did the weekly grocery shop on Friday night - it's a quiet time to shop and it certainly frees up the weekend for more pleasurable pursuits.
I spent most of Saturday treating and splitting up my silkies into new breeding groups, scrubbing water dishes and preparing the next station in the round garden. Gibbo reinforced the circular pen for me so I've put the last surviving Barnie hen and the very expensive new rooster back into the permaculature garden so that they can prepare the next bed. It will take a little while with only two chooks but that's ok.

It looks like I might have finally been able to grow some good carrots - the last station, which has plenty of sand in it, appears to be friable enough to let the carrots actually grow downwards instead of being stunted.

I was feeling rather stressed at the state of the house garden and the prevalence of winter weeds in the lawn. Gibbo brought the four wheeler home with the spray rig attached and ran over the entire area in a fraction of the time it would have taken me using the 7 litre hand sprayer. It was a huge help. Now I just have to wait for the weeds to die; then I can go over what's left.
Kylie B came out in the late afternoon and brought Reb M with her for a look at the chooks (and goats and pig) and permaculture set-up.

Meg cooked butter chicken for Sunday night dinner from scratch (ie not from a bottle; she used individual spices and greek style yoghurt etc); plus she made the flat bread from scratch too. It was a delicious meal.

No comments: