Thursday, August 12, 2010

Instalment 2

Singapore to Frankfurt and Beyond

The flight from Singapore to Frankfurt is now just a blur. We took off at 11.30pm, jammed in like sardines. We ate and dozed and tried to be a little bit comfortable but weren't. For the final hour and a half we watched the Miley Cyrus movie which at least passed the time. Gibbo really enjoyed it!

We landed in Frankfurt at 5.30am, local time. The flight ended up being 11 and 1/2 hours. Our flight to Dublin didn't leave for another 5 or so hours so we all descended on a bar; some ordered beers, some ordered coffees, some played cards.
There was some confusion as to how we actually had to proceed to/through transit; it all worked itself out.

The plane to Ireland was very spacious in comparison to our previous flight. It took an hour 40 to get here; then another hour or so in the terminal while we waited for one couples' luggage to arrive; it didn't. It was still in Frankfurt.

We went for a quick walk before heading off to Monkton Football Field where the boys played a 20-20 game against Pembroke Cricket Club. Gibbo opened the batting again, striding proudly to the pitch - and proceeded to smash the ball all over the (small) paddock. He hit the clubhouse and sent the crowd scattering (all five of them). He made 36 retired and took two (crucial) wickets. Aren't they all? I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open and had to put my book away and lay my head on the table for a little while. We had a meal of rice and stew and partook of some fellowship. More funny stories. Fascinating. Gibbo was awarded Man of the Match for his efforts. A yellow cap is awarded to the first man of the match on tour and is ceremoniously handed on each game thereafter. It has "Golden Boy" embroidered on the back; it sits well on him and he expects to win it a couple more times yet (only three games left). He managed to pass on the Butterfingers glove...some other poor sucker dropped a catch. Gibbo cheered loudly at his teammates' misfortune. Some of the girls and I left early and went home to bed; the boys came back about 11pm.

Yesterday's friendly match between all the guys was cancelled due to inclement weather so Gibbo and I caught the hop on-hop off bus and toured the city. We stopped off at Dublin Castle and the local jail where a tour took an hour. We had fish and chips at a recommended cafe and found half the tour group there. At the end of the day, the best fish and chips are to be found on the Sunshine Coast. 

On the way over from Germany I read in the magazine that Riverdance was on at The Gaiety Theatre and thought how much I'd like to see it but also thought a) I wouldn't be able to get a ticket and b) I would be obliged to attend the "official" cricket functions. However, when I found out there WERE tickets available I dumped the "what I should do" line of thought and went with the "what I want to do". So last night, three others and I sat in the balcony and watched it. I was mesmerized completely; the tap-dancing and all that celtic music stirs something primeval in me. I couldn't stop smiling. One of the other girls fell asleep; obviously it doesn't stir anything in her.

We caught a taxi back to the hotel where the guys had just returned from their official function (even though they hadn't played they still went to the dinner that was organized for them). There was an Irish band (duo) playing in the bar so we stayed until closing time. It was toe tapping, foot stomping music and I sang along to the few songs I knew (and the ones I didn't). I rang Peter when they played "The Shores of Botany Bay" but he thought it was a crank call and hung up on me. I rang back twice but he wouldn't answer the phone, still thinking it was some drunk with a wrong number! Gibbo wanted to leave and go to bed but I wouldn't let him; I made him stay. Between seeing Riverdance and listening to a live band in an Irish Pub, it was the best night I've had in five years (or longer!!). 

We're having trouble sleeping and hope we catch up soon. Staying in the one place for a week should help.

Today we are free until 3pm, when we head to Manchester for a night, then to Harrogate for the serious stuff.

Love to all,

M and G  

No comments: