Friday, August 20, 2010

Not For Very Much Longer

The opportunities to see my baby up on stage are fast diminishing. Soon there'll be no more musicals, theatre restaurants, debates, public speaking forums, eisteddfods or openings of flash new school buildings. Mum and I (his two biggest fans) went to watch him MC the official proceedings during the commissioning and blessing of the new multi-purpose centre (MPC). He was fabulous. Of course. He was beautiful. Of course. He was handsome up there. Of course. He shone. Of course he did. He's my son. The first part of the program saw the school band play, the school choir sing, many prayers and thanks offered up and the building/s blessed. Then Drew came on and officiated through the welcome, anthem, introductions of "distinguished guests", speeches, unveiling of the plaque and finally, to the conclusion, OLSC: Be Our Guide.
I know I'm totally biased and I ramble on about him - but there's something about Drew when he has an audience - something comes over him; he stands tall; his shoulders squared; his head held high; his voice lowered - and off he goes. He seems to take on another persona almost and really steps up to the occasion - and relishes it. Eisteddfod adjudicators always commented on his facial expressions and his ability to engage an audience and keep them with him.
It was a huge honor for him to be chosen to be MC and he/we received many compliments. Someone that he doesn't know told him he should be a "professional" MC; many people congratulated him on a job well done. He and Lydia showed the Senator around the new facilities.
As you can see, I took some incredibly crappy photos to record the day. I was a bit far back and I just couldn't get the settings right for a good photo.

So I guess a lot of the blogs I write between now and the middle of November will be about Drew - and the end of so many things. At the risk of sounding morbid and negative, the next few months will present me with some challenges that I'm going to struggle with and my blogging will go a long way to helping me through the sadness of it all. So bear with me during these times. In amongst my sadness there will be patches of light; his excitement and relief at finishing his official schooling; the formal; the graduation; that damn Schoolies week and then the start of a totally new adventure for him. I will be excited for him too but it will be bittersweet; I want these things for him but I don't want them for myself.

A constant theme too will be the new doors that may open for me, now that my responsibilities will change. I guess I should embrace the possibilities and the freedoms that the changes will bring; except it's too soon to look forward to any of that just yet. Maybe in time.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

I wish I had something positive to add Mare, to make you feel better. Instead I can imagine how tough the next few months will be. I'm already shedding the odd tear thinking of my beloved first-born heading to boarding school in 2012. It seems as though that will be the beginning of the end, with them all heading off one after the other.
I'll be a shoulder if you need one.
Fiona.