Monday, January 18, 2010

Setting Up for Permaculture


For a while now I've been keen to set up a small permaculture garden; I bought the book when we were on holidays at Nobby's in early December. I've read it right through and studied it, marked pages and re-read half it of several times. I've modified the plan to suit my needs - I haven't made a dome, I've used the round pen we already had. My mandala is half the size of the plan in the book but this will be much more manageable for me.

I mapped out the area a little while ago but the pink surveyors paint all washed away so I grabbed some orange and re-marked. I spent hours on the plan over the weekend. Gibbo brought me a loader bucket of feedlot manure and picked up 10 of the old lucerne bales and brought them to me. I spread the manure in the outside edges, layered it with lucerne, spread more feedlot manure then sprinkled it with litter.



I have a motley crew of scratchers - these are the kids that are supposed to turn the dry, dusty, sandy dirt into a thriving bed of writhing organisms that are just dying to grow the best vegetables ever - two barnies, two white wyandottes and a silver laced wyandotte. All really wild.

Every day they get a bucketful of this mix that has been fermenting in the compost bin for months. They love it.



This litter from the bottom of the chook pens goes over the top of the feedlot manure and lucerne layers.

This is the chook food we mix - 6 or 7 different grains and meal.

These are some of the other girls. They wonder what's going on.







No comments: