Sunday, June 16, 2013

Outside Again

I went to town this morning to say goodbye to the exchange student that I am the local co-ordinator for. He returns to Italy next week.

It was an absolutely brilliant winter's day. The breeze was cool but the sun was warm. I moved logs to The Chook Place, strung wire for the snow peas to be able to reach their trellis, got G to bang in steel posts at the vege garden so I can hang some shade cloth, moved the old day bed to the front verandah, trimmed some silkie topknots so that they can see again and sprayed the emerging and emerged winter weeds.

I dropped in at the nursery again when I was in town. L gave me this ornamental pepper that has seen better days. Maybe my magic mix will resurrect it. Or kill it.






I also bought some hot chillis. G can't handle anything hotter than very mild but I want to see what I can produce.


It's not really potato planting season (yet the nursery sells them?). It's either too early or too late (so I've been told) but I'll give them a go anyway. I bought two sebago plants and found a shooting potato in the pantry so buried it too.




I should get at least one!


In the trench and mulched.


Colourful silverbeet - just for the great colours.


Spring onions. I'm hoping for some little bulbs on the end of these rather than just a eschallot.


Gibbo sat on the swing to clean one of his bird's feet. Later, he went back with a second bird and found this - tomorrow's egg from the first bird, soft and squishy!! True story. It must have fallen out of her when he was holding her.




Can you see the helpers. Always, there are helpers.


 Mignonette lettuce; these were the first variety I grew in the permaculture garden at the feedlot. They were magnificent.


 I'm filling up side 2 of the vege garden. This side has the potatoes, new lettuce, spring onions and spinach planted today. It also has the strawberries and jerusalem artichokes planted recently.


I mulched side 1. The frosts are coming and I'm not sure what's going to get hit and what's not. Guess I'll soon find out.


The beetroot has really taken off; it looks so green and crisp and healthy.






Another weekend done and dusted. Meg and I go to Bris on Wednesday to bring Drew home for the mid-year break. He's half way through his course now and has been back from Canada and Antarctica for 18 months. Time flies by.

No comments: