Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Permaculture Update

PS-I wrote this post two weeks ago but couldn't publish it because the photos wouldn't load. Now when I publish, it will be out of order with the post from last night.

I've filled the pathways with sawdust and moved the chooks to their second site.
I was a bit concerned that what was left behind when the chooks moved would be too hot to plant into so I added a bag of potting mix. I think it might have still been a bit hot and I'm not surprised - there was a lot of lucerne, feedlot manure and chook droppings in amongst it. It could have benefited from a week or two of spelling and turning each day. I dutifully planted a variety of root vegetables on the optimum day in the lunar cycle - beetroot, carrots, eschallots, ginger and garlic - and now ten days later I only have the eschallots left! I think the others might have cooked in the hot mix; oh, and the topknot pigeons probably didn't help. They seemed to be partying on the mound each time I went out.
The mandala is now fenced to keep unwanted bovines out although none have made it into the buffel paddock yet. They will though.
The chooks are due to move on today to site 3 but I'm going to leave them where they are for another week or two as I'm out of mulch. There's another batch brewing in the bins. They haven't had near as much to scratch up compared to the first site.

It's been good to have a plan to follow. Sometimes I intend to do things but just never get around to them (like build a vege garden!). At least this way there's a method to follow which makes it all easier. Next planting day is Monday 15th - a leafy vegetable mix this time for the first phase of the moon.

No comments: