Saturday, February 13, 2010

Another School Year...

has started - and it's our last. Yes, the day I've been dreading for so long finally arrived on January 27 - the first day of our last year at school. There's only one day to be dreaded more than this - and that's the LAST day of the LAST year at school. Some time in November, I don't want to know the date, I will be found hiding in a corner somewhere, crying my eyes out. My beautiful youngest child will finish high school and move off into the great wide world, without me. His sister did it and survived; I have no doubt that he will too - but it's the end of an era that has totally consumed me at times and totally frustrated me as well. I've spent 18 years totally dedicated to my children and their education, often at the expense of my husband, myself and our relationship.

Every year since Meg started Grade 1 in 1994, when Drew was only 6 months old, I've taken a photo of him sitting on her lap (or as time went on, the other way 'round). That first year was a classic; they were so funny together. We took photos again this year and my, how times have changed! It was a tradition  we never missed, a chronicle of change through the years. Here they are on Meg's first day in 1994.


And here they are in 2010

On Drew's first day in 1999 we went to the office and took family photos and we did the same this year. This year, we had to get Drew to squat down so that Meg's chin sat on his head. The same photo, 12 years apart.


And here's an all time favourite of mine. My little boy and me.
My, how he's grown!!

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Beautiful kids Mare....Then and now.
Well done.
I've just sent my baby off for her first year, and you, his last.
I certainly understand the sadness that comes with the change of 'an era'.
They're all special memories.