Friday, December 30, 2016

Ten Peaks October 2016 - Part 2

We woke up early and had a shared breakfast of cereal, fruit, juice and tea.


We picked up our lunch packs, threw our backpacks in the cars and climbed in for the journey to Charlotte Pass. We had to be in the vehicles and ready to go at 6.30am; we were on military rule – 6.30 departure meant 6.30 departure. I swung between not wanting the drive to end and dying to get there and start walking.




We arrived at CP, grabbed a quick group photo and the first of many selfies and set off. I was so nervous, almost running to keep up and fit into the line somewhere. Anywhere.






We had been anticipating the barefoot crossing of the freezing Snowy River and within 15 minutes of setting out we were there. With no time to stop and think about what we were doing I ripped my shoes off and hung them ‘round my neck, pulled my pants up to my knees, grabbed a quick photo and plunged in. The water was absolutely freezing and my feet and calves were soon numb. I used my poles to steady myself as I felt my way across the slippery rocks to the grassy knoll at about the 2/3 mark then plunged back into the water for the short dash to the other side. Once there I rubbed my numb bits with a towel and applied deep heat in an attempt to wake up the bits that I couldn’t feel. Unfortunately one trekker hadn’t tied her bootlaces tight enough before hanging them around her neck and was horrified to see one boot slip off and float off down the river. Her day was over before it even started.

That's Meg in the red jacket.






Trying to dry off and get warm as quickly as possible (and some feeling back into our calves and feet).


The skier wasn't with us but crossed with us.




The next few hours were filled with some serious climbing as we made our way to Peak 1, Mt Twynam. We stopped for a short break beside a snow covered glacial lake to snack and rest before continuing on. 




Onwards and ever upwards we went. The 21 of us strung out in a long line, each finding our own comfortable walking pace. Sometimes I walked with Meg, sometimes I walked with others and sometimes I walked on my own. After 3 hours of walking we reached the summit where we had a short break. Our first peak was a great achievement and I was relieved to have made it without too much trouble but we didn’t hang around long; there were 5 more to make before dusk.












On to Peak 2, Carruthers Peak, where we came across one of the few patches of snow free ground to walk on – and even a path to follow! 








This was the peak where we might have got a tap on the shoulder and a gentle suggestion to head back to base – no ego on the mountain.  In the end, three people decided for themselves to head back (with a guide) and the rest of us started the march to Peak 3, Alice Rawson Peak – way down into the valley then way up into the clouds. This was a tough one. Don’t look up, just keep walking. We seemed to go down forever; we slid down numerous hills on our bums. There was much giggling and laughter from all ages! It occurred to me that eventually we’d have to start heading up again. And we did. It was hard. We arrived about 2.30, had a quick snack and left again. The day was about to get tougher.











Made it!! Peak 3!!

No comments: