Sunday, July 31, 2016

Going Back

We left Mare in the late afternoon and sailed to Port Vila, Vanuatu, docking around 8.30am on Thursday 30th. Gibbo and Drew went off to organise a taxi bus for the day while Mum, Meg and I had a quick look at the markets that set up just near where the ship docks. It's a much more organised affair than in previous years.

We hired a driver, Joseph, and set off. We drove through town and then out to a small village where we took a 5 minute tour. Then we drove, not far, to the jetty where a small boat took us across to Hideaway Island. I'd been really looking forward to this visit. We were last here 14 years ago, then year I turned 40, during a holiday at Le Lagon resort; the kids were 14 and 9! It was where I first snorkelled; I can still remember the wonder of life under the sea and how I sat in chest deep water and practiced breathing with a snorkel. Then when I started swimming around I couldn't stop giggling like a little girl; it was magical! So Hideaway Island has always held a special place in my memory and I've sometimes thought about coming back to spend a week here (we've been back to Vanuatu on cruises on two occasions but haven't made the journey to the island).

It has barely changed; in fact, everything was exactly as I remembered it! I was so pleased. It's such a gem of a place. The fish were plentiful and beautiful; the last fish I saw before I got out of the water was my favourite - a pink/blue/green/aqua one! A good omen.






























































I'm coming back some day, come what may.

No comments: