Monday, August 24, 2015

RTCC 2015 - 15th-16th August, 2015

I made it! 205km, up hills, down hills, flat roads, sharp corners, traffic lights, roundabouts, horse floats and big trucks. It was hard but it was really good. I rode by myself and just took my time. Gibbo drove the raffle car from start to finish, stopping at each pit stop along the way. We were all able to pile our gear in with him and collect it at the end.

The night before, we stayed in the city in a lovely apartment. Pity it was such a short stay! After virtually no training I was feeling quite nervous but there was no turning back!






Early start on Saturday morning - a quick breakfast and photo ops and we were on the start line. After the opening ceremony, we were off!











There were 4 pit stops each day so the ride was easily broken down into 5 short ones. It was good to see Gibbo at each one. He and Eva and Jimmy did a great job of cheering us all in.


Here he is, ringing his bell!











Camp was at Canungra; there was a big welcoming committee as each of us came up the final hill into the grounds.










 I couldn't get a booking for a massage so went for an acupuncture session on my hamstrings - and had the needles in my arms!! It was a very relaxing 20 minutes and was a good idea I think. Dinner was very welcome; the team was well recognised for our fundraising efforts $324,000!! Amazing. Eight of us were in the top 10 fundraisers and rode the return leg in special polka dot jerseys.


No, they're not looking at the latest new headlines; they're watching the Bledisloe Cup - which Australia lost really badly!

I slept very well in the tent; Gibbo got up through the night and I had no idea. Wrapped in my sleeping bag and minky blanket I didn't hear a thing (except for some snoring). I got up at 4.30 and started getting ready for the return journey. Gibbo drove back to the city to park the car at the finish line; the rest of us headed out to start riding - in the rain!! Memories of last year's downpour flooded back but I figured at least we were on the home leg this time, not heading out!






It was a hard slog back, plenty of hills but I didn't walk. When I got near the Uni, anticipation grew. I made the mistake last year when I was 5km out from home thinking that the ride was nearly done - this year I was a bit smarter. There's a lot of hills around the Uni! I knew once I hit Carmody Rd that the end was close and from that moment on I couldn't stop smiling! I rode up past the soccer fields and turned right onto SFS Drive where the 1km ride to the finish stretched out in front of me. I took my time, enjoying the atmosphere and marvelling at the fact that I'd finished! I could here the loud thump-thump of the music at the finish line and the sound of the announcer's voice. As I rode in under the banner I was greeted by lots of cheering AACo people! It was such a great feeling!























I had a coffee and a burger and got some more photos. I caught up with the girls from the NT stations then waited at the finish line for the rest of the team to ride in.








It was such a great thing to do - I'm so glad I did it! We heard the organisers aren't running another one next year so I think the Company will come up with something along the same lines to do to raise money for a charity (but not quite on the same scale as this one).

No comments: