Friday, January 9, 2015

Good News

Mate's surgery went well; simple and straightforward is how the surgeon described it. There was no collapsed tissue so the only repair that needed doing was the valve replacement. In a perfect world nothing is perfect, but this was good.

He spent all of yesterday in and out of consciousness as the ICU staff brought him slowly around. I popped in and out as I could; it wasn't really until 6 o'clock last night that he was aware of his surroundings.

This morning he was feeling a bit nauseous and a little disappointed. He went for a walk, using a rolling walker, and didn't get very far. He had been expecting to be able to walk unassisted so felt a little let down. However, the physiotherapist is happy with his progress particularly with being able to draw 2 of the 3 balls in the Triflow up to the top. If all is well he might go back to the ward tomorrow.

I came home today on a bus. When I was down there I stayed in the same little boutique apartments that we stayed in the weekend of Drew's 21st - only 1 km from the hospital and a few minutes walk to the city so I got some exercise.

The funky wall in the lift.


The artwork in the hallways.


The entrance.


Dinner on the first night at the (also) funky cafe downstairs; I had breakfast here as well. Very convenient.




There's a big breakfast bar in the middle of the room where lots of people could fit.




My dinner last night; I grabbed some sushi and wine on my way back from the hospital and ate in my room while answering work emails.


Breakfast this morning; I'm not very big on toasted turkish bread; it's too hard and crunchy.


I walked into the city yesterday during hospital rest time; caught up on some essentials - coffee pods and a new 365 journal for 2015.


This morning, heading out to the hospital. Had to take everything with me because I walked to the transit centre at lunch time to catch the bus home.


Home now and back in my own bed tonight. I sure do love my own bed.

No comments: