Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Birthday, A Medal, A LICENCE TO DRIVE

Drew turned 16 today; typing that is quite confronting. Sixteen - 16 - XVI - however I write it or say it, I can't comprehend it. This is my baby child, my little boy - who is now a strapping young man with a wonderfully long body and handsome face - and the most beautiful character. He is a true delight and someone that I am incredibly proud of.

He was runner-up in his age-group at the school athletics carnival - this is a child who has never really figured in any athletics carnival to date, apart from participating. He got 3 second placings in the sprints and a couple of thirds in field events and ended up with a medal to hang around his neck. When he came home yesterday and told me that he was coming second, I was amazed and so was he. He just had to do well today to stay runner-up; the boy who won the age group was so far out in front, there was daylight between him and Drew; and I think that being runner-up probably meant more to Drew than winning did to the age champion. A lot of people couldn't believe it! A little bit of confidence and a whiff of success can make people do great things.

After the carnival we went to the Transport Dept for Drew to sit for his learner licence. He filled out the forms, I paid the money then waited outside, walking up and down the pavement while he did the test. I went to the pet shop twice, looked in the watchmaker, sat on the seat, got up and walked across the road, came back and sat on the seat a bit more; I was like an expectant father in the old days. Then Bree came along and sat with me until I got this text message:

I passed! Wahoo :) :)
come back quick. You
need to pay more
money
So we went in and his smile was a mile wide - I paid another $68, he had his photo taken and they handed him his drivers licence. I can't believe that either - he can legally drive. My life is flying by. He was very, very excited.
We went to fill Gma in on the day then went home, picked up Chris and went back to town, got Gma and had dinner at Maccas to celebrate birthday, runner-up and licence. This is an important day in the life of Drew! A milestone for him and for me. My baby is so big. Gibbo is down in Victoria looking at wagyu so he missed all the first hand excitement.




No comments: